If I asked you…

Standard

 

Image credit from sxc: cieleke

Image credit from sxc: cieleke


I have a serious question for you.

Ladies: If I asked you to describe your best friend, what would you say?

She’s the best listener.
She is an incredible mother.
She’d do anything for me.
She’s brilliant.
She’s the kindest person I know.
She’s hysterical.
She always there for me.
She’s an incredible athlete.
She can accomplish anything she sets her mind to.
She’s the most beautiful person I know.
I don’t know what I’d do without her.
She always knows the right thing to say.
She gives so much.
She’s kind and sensitive.
She’s incredible.

Now, what would you say if I asked you to describe yourself? Would you say any of those things?

Maybe you should.

Dresses. Boots.

Standard

This post was sponsored by the nice folks at Country Outfitters. Compensation covered the amazing Frye boots in these photos. If you know me at all or have ever read this blog, you know my love for boots did not start here and you know that my opinions are, and have always been, my own. This is also a great time to tell you that the photos were taken, edited and arranged by the fabulous Megan Evans, to whom I am very grateful for this and lots of other things. Love you, Megan!

I don’t consider myself particularly beautiful.

Nor do I consider myself particularly trendy.

I’m not saying this so you’ll comment that I’m beautiful and always look great. Seriously. Don’t. I love how I look and dress. Because, you know what? I look like me and no one else. wendy boots blue

 

When I was a teen, my brother (who was a year ahead of me in school) told my mother that I created trends. It may have been the most flattering thing I’d ever heard about myself. I did put things together a little differently. I did wear feather earrings before they were cool. (Were they ever cool?) I did make choices based on what made me feel good rather than what everyone was wearing.

And I wore boots.

Always boots.

If you want to see my 2006 boot collection, here you go. Just saying that my love of boots is not new. Not new, at all.

Last year, for Valentines’ Day, Andrew bought me the vintage red boots I’d been dreaming about. And I’ve worn them with jeans, skirts, slacks, and yes, with dresses. This is my favorite match-up.

red boots wendy And because I love this so darn much, here’s a little more of that goodness: 2014-07-10_0033

Let me talk about confidence and bare my soul. I was not a confident teen. I was scared and insecure. Maybe all girls feel that way. I don’t know. How would I know? But I remember like it was yesterday walking down the hallway and feeling conspicuous. And I remember my mom telling me I was special and that what I had was different and I should embrace it. And I tried. I tried to

    feel

special and different and stand out. Because it isn’t something anyone can give you.

And my brother (the one who said I started trends) told me way back then some of the wisest words I ever heard: act like it’s true and it will be true. (Years later, I’ve always attributed “fake it ’til you make it” to my bro.)

Boots. They made me stand out. They were different. I wore them with jeans. And with dresses. It was a little radical. At least where I lived in the suburbs.

I was the one who reached for the boots even in summer. Even if I’d never seen them worn quite like that.

Since and still, there is nothing that makes me feel as confident and as special as a fabulous pair of boots with a dress. A short dress. A long dress. A frilly dress.

 

2014-07-10_0014

Road trip: Old School.

Standard

trash bag and maps
I love technology. I marvel at the immense conveniences and benefits of our time. Take Waze, for instance. How amazing is it to enter your destination and not only be given verbal instructions, but to be routed around traffic and warned of stopped cars, police, speed camera and more. Truly unbelievable. And now, Waze talks in terms of time, not distance. So instead of, drive 30 miles and then keep right, it says drive 37 minutes and then, keep right. Now if that isn’t thinking about the way the user thinks, I don’t know what is. Very, very cool.

But you know what? I miss spreading out my maps and plotting my path. I miss seeing what is along the way – or not – and thinking about where I’ll stop and what I’ll do. I miss visualizing my path ahead of time and while I’m on the way to where I’m going. And I miss pulling out the map on the side of the road and figuring out where I am when I get lost. The getting lost part – that was part of the adventure.

I never get lost anymore.

Is that a good thing? I’m not so sure.

My AAA membership expires tomorrow. I’ve been a member for as long as I can remember.

Back in the day, it was hard to find someone to help you if you had car trouble 10 miles outside Duluth and didn’t know anyone west of Ohio. It was impossible to know if stumbling upon Sam at Sharky’s Garage was a stroke of luck or a nightmare waiting to happen. But today? Yelp. Today? Google. Today? Easy.

Sure, it’s an option to self-insure a tow by joining AAA. But the thing is, I’ve been a member for 20+ years at $50-75 per year and have been towed once. Now, the tow was free. But add it up, and not so much free. Yes, they have lots of discounts and offerings but I don’t use them. The AAA hotel discount? I can find that rate a hundred different ways, or frankly just by asking.

So, I’m not renewing my AAA membership. It isn’t a decision I came to lightly. But I’ve been thinking about maps a lot lately and have regretted not having good street maps in the car. Sure, I could go out and buy them but since they’re a part of my membership, I scurried over to pick some up before the end of the month. I got 12 maps.

Assuming I’ve been a member 25 years and the average cost per year was $62.50, that’s $1,562.60. Let’s take out the tow back in 2003 (I’ll call that $150) and the average cost per map I just got is $117.71. Just saying, they weren’t really free. However, as Andrew always says, “Sunk costs are sunk,” and now I have some new maps.

The main reason I’m posting, though, is that awesome trashbag they threw in with the maps. Now, I have a trashbag in my car, already. But this one? This one brings back some great memories. And it made me laugh out loud.

Do you remember these? The bag hangs on the window crank. See that round hole? Now tell me, how would you hang it in your car? There’s no place in mine, for sure. (You might say the lighter/power source, but there’s not enough room UNDER it to let the bag hang. At least not in our cars.)

So, so retro.

Magnutties & Happy Fathers’ Day

Standard

Back in February 2012, I wrote about working for my family magnet business from the tender young age of 10. I wrote about how I stamped the coin envelopes (not particularly well) for magnutties. And what were magnutties? They were rubber magnetic strip scored so that you could break them into 100 pieces and they were fun to stack and play with. I wasn’t sure if it was 100 pieces at the time I wrote, but I am now.

Why is that? Why am I sure now?

I’m sure because I got an email just the other day that confirmed it.

The author of said email, sent me this photo:

magnutties

and I can’t tell you how much it made me smile. We’ve written back and forth a bit and here’s what I learned. He found this pack of magnutties stuck to the bottom of an old metal fishing tray of an old tackle box (they are magnetic after all) and he googled it. And the only thing of substance he found was my blog post.

And he reached out.

I explained that B&G was the company my dad started when I was little and that its name changed a long time ago. And that magnutties haven’t been around for quite some time.

And I told him that my dad would think this was really neat. I thought that I’d create this great Fathers’ Day post about this. And then I realized that my dad doesn’t use a computer.

So I’m posting it a little early for Fathers’ Day because I can show him at breakfast today. (I’m taking my mom to the train & will hang around in Baltimore for a bite to eat.)

(Thank you, kind stranger!)

New Riders of the Purple Sage

Standard

Weinberg Center
Walking past the Weinberg Center in Frederick the other day, I remembered going to see the New Riders of the Purple Sage. We got a flat tire on the way to Frederick. Was André driving? Joe? I can’t remember, but I do remember walking to get help. It was cold. Very cold.

And we didn’t have cell phones because it was February 1979. Here’s an ad for the show:

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 2.48.46 PM

I need to remember that my parents let me go at 17 with friends to a concert an hour away. With no contact method. We had a problem and we solved it.

It’s a great reminder now that my guys are making bigger and bigger asks.

Bedtime stories.

Standard

Books

If you were to ask me what I miss most about my boys’ younger years, I’d be quick to tell you I miss bedtime.

No, not because the days were long and I was exhausted. (Though the days were long and I was exhausted.)

No, I miss bedtime because there is something magical about reading those stories again and again with a child. I loved the giggles and the drowsy eyes and the questions. I loved the cuddles and the long hugs. I loved the “one more thing” as I was leaving the room and turning off the light.

I loved transitioning from picture books to chapter books. I loved moving to young adult books. And then, they didn’t want us to read to them anymore. It was gradual. I don’t remember exactly when it ended.

But, I miss it so much.

I’ll tell you this, though. All my guys know the surprise ending of Dinsmore and none of them would ever stand on a swivel chair and they all know how to make Mrs. Peters’ birthday cake.

Pony up.

Standard
photo credit: berenika

photo credit: berenika

Please enjoy this email convo that I had with my mom last night. (Posted with permission. Thanks, Mom.)

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:05 PM, Wendy Scherer wrote:

You know that photo of Jeff on a pony? Was that in our neighborhood? I kind of think that the pony traveled around for pix. Is that true? Did I get a picture on one too?

Just wondering. Nothing important!!

love,
Wendy

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:25 PM, Nadine Goldman wrote:

I don’t remember a picture of Jeff on a pony. Do you have a copy of it?

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:27 PM, Wendy Scherer wrote:

I don’t know if I do!
He was wearing a flat-cowboy hat. The pony had big spots. I think he had a vest on?
It was black & white. You don’t remember? Maybe I have it somewhere? I don’t think so though.

I’m pretty sure it was in our front yard!

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:35 PM, Nadine Goldman wrote:

Well, we definitely didn’t own a pony. My guess is that you’re probably right. It was likely a traveling pony. How old was Jeff? If he was 3 or 4 you probably were too young to sit on it.
Hmmm my memory is definitely not good.
But don’t worry yet. I still remember who you are. Love you!
M

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:39 PM, Wendy Scherer wrote:

LOL Can I publish this conversation in a blog post? It’s VERY funny!

Sure :)

Sent from my iPad