Honestly can’t remember where I found this but it’s not original. These are amazingly good!
Cayenne Spiced Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
2-1/2 cups flour
1-1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
3-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1-3/4 cups lowfat milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups warm water
1 pound semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
6 tablespoons boiling water
1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in a bowl. Beat eggs, yolk, milk, oil, vanilla and water into flour mixture until fully combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
4. To make frosting, heat chocolate over a double boiler until fully melted. Set aside to let cool slightly. Meanwhile, stir together cocoa powder, baking soda, cayenne, and boiling water.
5. In a separate bowl, beat butter with sugar and salt until fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate and cocoa mixture until fully combined. Spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes.